Full-Time High School Physics Teacher (19-20)
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing public charter schools committed to preparing scholars to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as financially literate professionals and positive leaders. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates nearly 700 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8 and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-11 in 2019-2020.
Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all scholars through our commitment to high expectations and high-quality support. During the 2017-2018 school year, Intrepid earned a level 5 growth score as measured by the Tennessee Value- Added Assessment System and was distinguished as a Reward School by the Tennessee Department of Education. This is a particularly notable achievement as we serve one of the highest English Language Learner populations among Metro Nashville Public Schools.
Our work grows scholars academically, financially, and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the work force, raising expectations for academic excellence, financial acumen and ethical leadership.
Teach Physics at Independence Academy
Independence Academy provides a liberal arts education, including the study of Physics, in a disciplined academic environment. It provides the groundwork for an understanding of the foundation of our society, while developing the leadership capacity of our students so that they may serve as leaders in their communities. You are fascinated by the formulas and laws that govern the way things work. If you could spend your days crafting, assembling, and creating using the scientific method, you’d be thrilled. You love robots and you think a hands-on demonstration trumps a slideshow or a textbook assignment any day. Our Physics coursework provides an introduction to the sciences with specific attention to student-led group work, hands-on labs, flipped classrooms, and other components of a 21st century education.
Physics Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
- Lay the foundation for the development of our STEM curriculum
- Collaborate with leaders and teachers over expanded summer professional development to create rigorous, standards-aligned curriculum including scope and sequence, long-term plan, unit plans.
- Collaborate weekly with leaders and teachers to develop interim, midterm, and final assessments
- Share teaching strategies, visit peer classrooms and analyze academic achievement data on a daily basis to develop best practice pedagogy
- Demonstrated experience or willingness to engage in a community where teaching is public (i.e. engaging in classroom visits, publication and critique of curriculum, observation and feedback cycles).
- Work with our ELL and Reading Specialists to support tremendous academic growth for ELL students and readers.
- Collaborate with Prepster Support Team weekly to develop a plan to meet the needs of all learners
- Serve as a House Advisor for 10-12 students, including developing relationships with families, monitoring each student’s academic progress and fulfillment of requirements in the Pre-Collegiate Training program
- Availability to participate in after school and Saturday tutoring programs.
- Availability and willingness to engage in a limited number of evening/weekend student recruitment and parent outreach events
- Have structured planning time (minimum of 100 minutes) built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons
Successful Physics teacher candidates possess the following characteristics:
- Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
- Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from past experience
- Demonstrated evidence of strong content knowledge in Physics and ability to articulate the importance of Physics in a well-rounded high school education
- Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
- Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly conversation
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
- Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous classroom climate
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular assessment and data analysis
- Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
- Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
- Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are nonnegotiable.
The position will begin July 2019.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that later stages of the application process require a phone screen and a video interview. If you have questions or concerns, contact our Hiring team at email@example.com.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit your resume through our career site here.
170 total views, 2 today